Saturday, May 10, 2014

Montmartre and Memories

The semester is screeching to a halt, and I can barely believe it. I turned in my last paper of spring semester this morning...it hasn't quite hit me yet. I still have two final exams to go, but no more essays! I can't believe how four months have passed already. I feel like I'm just starting to blend into this city. I've had an incredible time here, though.  It felt like everything came full-circle today. Early on in the semester, I visited Montmartre with my friend Sarah, and we talked about how we envisioned the semester playing out.  I remember commenting about how everything--the weather, the flowers--would be just starting to get nice by the time we had to go. I was right. BUT we are taking advantage of everything by cramming in tons of last minute sightseeing. 

Today we squeezed in all the things we missed on that first trip to Montmartre. We had an overpriced tourist snack at Le Café des Deux Moulins, the restaurant in Amélie. It looks the same, just a bit smaller and minus the tabac.  The place was packed solely with English-speaking tourists. 

I even ordered crème brulée to crack the sugar with my spoon. 

Afterwards, we managed to find the Montmartre Cemetery, which we missed the first time around. 



I finally saw Degas! 

This picture doesn't show it well, but Paris is absolutely packed with tourists now. Huge school groups flood the streets and the métro, and I hear English everywhere. It's good preparation before going home, I guess.  



My French, though still far from where I'd like it to be, has improved quite a bit. I laughed at the name of this store: The Monkey who Reads. 

Another week of school, and then it's summer! I have a little while in Paris by myself before heading over to London and starting a crazy adventure with my sister. 

No comments:

Post a Comment