Sunday, January 26, 2014

Le Week-end: Cartier, Latin Quarter, and Montmartre

January 26, 2014

Exploring Paris is entirely different than exploring New York. One major, obvious difference is the lack of grid here. Everything is circular. It takes about 10 minutes to cross the street if there's a roundabout (and there always is). This weekend was filled with lots of walking and wandering. My blurry long-held mental vision of sparkling lights and cobblestones and twisted iron balconies on every tea-stained colored building is developing sharper lines and divisions as the days pass. I went to the market today, but instead of the same sure route that I know pretty well now, I weaved down other winding streets that looked interesting.  I managed to find a chapel, a Carrefour (grocery store), the frozen food store, and make it back to the apartment. Since I have the directional sense of a person who was blindfolded and spun around a bunch of times (pin the tail on the donkey?), this was an accomplishment.

My weekend started out with walking along the Seine from school to Le Grand Palais.

Apologies for the abundance of Eiffel Tower pictures to come

My homestay mother/grandma (?) used to work for Chanel. She is probably massively disappointed that I know nothing about fashion. Earlier in the week, she kept raving about the beautiful Cartier exhibition and insisted that I go, though. So I went because who doesn't like shiny things? I was in the company of about 500 little old ladies "oh la la"-ing (yes, people do actually say it, for real) over the encased tiaras and necklaces that must weigh 30 pounds. 

I learned the style of jewelry was made to reflect the opulence of Louis XIV's court, but also be "modern." 



The ceiling had jewel projections slowly floating downward
Hilariously enough, Cartier also made these funny animals from expensive rocks.





This rhino was not part of the Cartier exhibition, but instead a statue outside of the Musée d'Orsay, which is not like I remembered it 

This is the only picture I could take since cameras were banned in all the galleries. I got to hangout with Degas, VanGogh, and Cézanne, though.

Look, Natalie! I am in this picture! I was so excited that the train got here that I moved and that is why the picture is blurry. Oops. 


Though I didn't get to spend as much time as I wanted to in the 5th arrondissement, I think it might become a favorite as I learn more about it. I had to go to pick up course readers on the other side of town, and passed the schools (the Sorbonne, prestigious high schools, Collège de France...NYU Paris is moving to the 5th next year) and many, many bookstores. 
I also saw this rather creepy doll store. These three were intensely staring out the window with their beady dark eyes. Broken baby dolls rested on the counter inside, and other scary friends looked on from their places on the shelves.

Densely packed graveyard-- some old guys, some new guys







Proof that I actually am here.




Like my hat?
On Saturday, I met up with some friends to explore Montmartre in the 18th arrondissement (Amélie, anyone?). It's a cute area, but very touristy. It also is extremely hilly. 


These are just a few images of the paintings on the wall to amuse everyone as they climbed the never-ending staircase to exit the métro station.






Artist square, where Picasso and VanGogh and other 20th century artists roamed about



Teeny tourist train to get up those hills

Street performers

View from the top
Sacré-Coeur 

Back down

There are carousels everywhere 


Chocolate Notre Dame


I haven't had a macaron yet! 


Ran into a bagpipe parade? There was also an oyster festival happening



Today was relaxing. Besides the market, I stayed inside. It's been windy and rainy, so no walk in the woods unfortunately. 
Here's a blurry glimpse of the market. This doesn't capture it very well, but I've been warned about gypsies and pickpockets...

Today's purchases

Good luck to everyone starting school tomorrow! Happy spring semester! 










3 comments:

  1. Ahhh (Mind if I begin all of my comments to your blog posts with this?)!!! All of this exploring makes me happy!
    -- Oh-la-la is a thing?! I love it. Now I can use it and not have to feel cheesy (The real French know!). Talking about cheese...how is it?!

    -- Ohmygoodness. That chocolate Notre Dame. I can't. I wonder what their temperature policies are. Kinda reminds me of that chocolate palace in Willy Wonka. LAlaLALALAlaaaa. *weird hypnotic-sounding song*

    -- Oooh, creepy dolls. There should be a blog on creepy doll stores in Paris. If not, you should make one!

    -- Hey that avatar of you does not count, missy. Luckily, you posted other pictures with you actually in them.

    --Cool green moss on that guy's grave.

    --That winding staircase made me dizzy just whole scrolling down the page.

    --Another career option: street performer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it!
      -I've revised my previous definition of "oh-la-la" to be equivalent to "omg." I'll let you know if it changes. The dairy products here are so different. I'll have to do a post about that at some point or other.
      -The cheese that I've had on sandwiches is really good, but I surprisingly haven't had straight cheese yet! I just bought a massive block at Monoprix (another post? Maybe about all the different stores here, like the bakeries, the cheese shops, the meat shops?). I just had a cheese-filled croissant (not really, but I forgot it's what it's called...feuille-something?) for dinner, and it was super unhealthily delicious!
      -I unfortunately knew the tune with your capitalization and lowercasing for that evil Willy Wonka song...
      -I'll work on it!! Maybe just a post or a short story (as Annissa suggested via facebook)
      -It does, actually. lol
      -I think I would laugh too often and randomly to be a street performer...but maybe if I could get an accordion-unicycle thing going...

      P.S. Comment back if you're getting these replies!

      Delete
    2. I am getting these replies!!!! I check back all the time :P Seriously all of this stuff is like a dream. Love reading your posts. I ALSO got a super sweet post card (hanging on my wall right now)!

      Delete